Early Child Development
Inequalities in early childhood development in Canada55
- 1 in 4 Canadian children are vulnerable in at least one of five developmental areas (physical health and well-being; social competence; language and thinking skills; communication skills and general knowledge; and, understanding and managing emotions). Developmental vulnerabilities may lead to poorer health and social outcomes in later life.
- Children in lower income communities or living in areas with lower material and social resources, experience the greatest inequalities. Vulnerability in early childhood development is:
- 2.2X higher in materially and socially deprived communities,
- 1.8X higher in the lowest-income communities,
- 2.0X higher among Indigenous children than non-Indigenous children
References available here